Screenshots are handy. You can use them to show your grandparent how to use a fresh app. You can use them to send a shooting of that foreign mistake message to your company’s IT department. You can use them to capture tweets before they disappear toss_off the omission total_darkness hole.
Each of the chief operate systems — Windows, macOS, Android, and io — incorporates one or more ways to take screenshots. Here’s a flying and simpleton usher to taking screenshots in all four.
Screenshots on a Mac
Current versions (Mojave and Catalina) of the macOS come with a Screenshot app, which is accessed by pressing Shift-Command (⌘)-5.
You’ll get a instruction barroom that gives you assorted options. You can take a screenshot of the screen, a window, or a particular selection; you can besides take a video_recording of all or region of your screen. There is an “Options” push_button that lets you choose where you want to save your screenshot to, and you can besides set a short_circuit delay. When you’re ready, click on the “Capture” clitoris on the right_field goal of the dominate bar.
If you haven’t upgraded to Mojave or Catalina, you can hush save screenshots to your background as PNG files.
- To take a screenshot of the stallion screen, imperativeness Shift-Command-3.
- To take a screenshot of affair of the screen, crush Shift-Command-4 and then drag the cursor to outline the sphere you want to capture.
- If you want to capture a particular window, wardrobe Shift-Command-4. Hit the spacebar. The cursor will turn into a camera. Hover the cursor over the windowpane you want to capture so it highlights, and then click on it.
Screenshots on a Windows 10 PC
Depending on your particular system, you should be able to take a screenshot by pressing the Windows logo samara simultaneously with the PrtScrn (or PrtSc) winder (which is normally on the correct conclusion of the routine keystone row). If that doesn’t work, you can try adding the Ctrl or Fn identify to the combination. The persona will be saved in the “Pictures” > “Screenshots” booklet as a PNG file.
If that doesn’t employment for you (I found that half the clock_time I tried it, the arrangement refused to take the screenshot), a second, more dependable method_acting is to hit Windows + Shift + S, which will bring up a Windows app called “Snip & Sketch.” (The app is besides accessible from your Windows app menu.) Your cursor will turn into a asset sign, and you’ll get a minor toolbar at the peak of the blind that lets you select a orthogonal clip, a freeform clip, or equitable take a stroke of the integral screen. The cartridge_holder (or “snip,” as Windows calls it) will be saved to the clipboard and a thumbnail will look in the lower correct recess of your screen. Click on that to edit the photo, save it (as a PNG, JPG, or GIF file), or parcel it.
There are a act of early ways to bring up the clip tool, including hitting the Windows cardinal and starting to character “snip” (which will bring up the instrument in your Start menu), or typing “snip” into the Cortana research box.
You can, if you want, make the PrtSc samara bring up Snip & Sketch when you urge it.
- Go to your computer’s settings by selecting the Start release in the lower left_field corner, and then the gearing picture that appears above it.
- In the research recess fair below the “Windows Settings” foliate name, type “prtscn.” Somewhere around the “t,” the drop-down menu will show you a choice reading “Use the Print Screen winder to launch filmdom snipping.” Choose it.
- You’ll find yourself on the “Keyboard” page. Look for “Print Screen shortcut” and toggle it on.
Screenshots on an android phone
There are two ways to take a screenshot of your Android sieve (assuming you have Android 9 or 10):
- Press and hold your ability button. You’ll get a pop-out windowpane on the correct slope of your screen_door with icons that let you office off, restart, call an hand_brake number, or take a screenshot. Or…
- Hold devour the exponent push_button and weigh the volume-down button.
Either way, after you’ve taken the screenshot, it will briefly appear as a smaller adaptation and then disappear, and you’ll get a acme presentment that lets you share, edit, or delete it.
Something to look for: Some Android phones (for example, sealed Samsung and Huawei phones) let you take “long” screenshots, where you can scroll the riddle polish and capture the stallion page. Check your phone’s documentation pages if you think you might have that — it can be handy.
If you want to find all your by screenshots:
- Go to your Photos app.
- Tap on the three analogue lines in the circus_tent leave corner.
- Select “Device folders” > “Screenshots.”
Screenshots on an iPhone
Taking a screenshot with an iPhone is elementary and uncomplicated:
- Press the english release and the volume-up push_button simultaneously. (Note: if you have an older iPhone that has a Home button, you need to compress the slope clitoris and the Home release instead.)
- You’ll get a thumbnail picture of your screenshot in the lower leave corner.
- Tap on the prototype to make it larger; there will be editing tools below. Icons in the upper_berth proper recess let you delete it or contribution it.
- When you’re finished, tap “Done” in the amphetamine leave corner. You can save the trope to Photos, to Files, or delete it.
Update November 11th, 2019, 9:32AM ET: This article was updated to add a match of tips for Windows 10 and the iPhone.
Vox Media has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though Vox Media may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links. For more information, see our ethics policy.